Monday, January 4, 2010

Serenity, Courage and Wisdom

I was reminded tonight of the Serenity Prayer...

God grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.

As I explained the meaning of this prayer to my son I realized the meaning it has for me.  My life isn't perfect.  In fact, it's flawed in ways too numerous to count.  But I don't look back.  I don't worry about the "what ifs", the "if onlys" or the "should have beens".  To quote my mother, "It is what it is."  I can't change the past.  What's done is done.  However, I can change how I handle it, what I learned from it, and where I'm going from here.

Lord, give me the peace of accepting those things that cannot be changed.  Give me the strength of spirit to change what I can.  And, Lord, fill me with Your wisdom, that I may know Your plan for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment